What is a Workplace Campaign?
Without a doubt, the workplace campaign is the most high-profile United Way fundraising activity, representing a significant portion of the funds we gather to invest in changing the lives of those most in need in our community. Workplace giving is an easy and effective way to help employees make a difference an
d show them that their workplace is actively supporting the local community’s most important issues. Employees of a company are given an opportunity to support United Way by donating a portion of their paycheck. In many cases, the donations from employees are pre-tax pay, and many companies match their employees’ donations, which makes their charitable contributions go further. Whether you're a small business, major corporation, or even a nonprofit, you can join the thousands of local businesses and organizations that run workplace campaigns each year.
Benefits of a Workplace Campaign
More and more, employees and customers are attracted to companies that are committed to the community and create opportunities for them to connect with the causes they care about most. Employee campaigns are a great opportunity to engage employees, build a spirit of teamwork, and increase morale all while making an impact on the community.
Benefits to Employees
- Education: Campaign information about charitable organizations expands employees’ knowledge about their community.
- Enhanced Employee Relations: Running a campaign provides a way for employees to improve their community. Also, participation in a campaign committee or events can help develop teambuilding skills and boost morale as employees learn to set goals, work together, and achieve positive results.
- Investment: Companies and their employees may be able to receive tax deductions and/or credits from charitable giving as well as enjoy the ease and convenience of payroll deduction.
- Satisfaction: Allowing employees to donate to an organization that addresses issues that are important to them provides greater employee satisfaction. For example, United Way provides many choices to employees through education, financial stability, and health areas included on pledge forms as well as a variety of special local United Way community initiatives.
- Workforce Development: Running a campaign provides leadership opportunities for the campaign, committee, or event leaders as well as those aligned with affinity groups that empower employees to create new strategies to reach their networks.
Benefits to Company
- Community Leadership: Creates a bond of interest between employer and employee; each knowing the other is working for the community’s best interest. Companies prosper in healthy communities and tend to stay and increase their employee base. Companies outside the area are more likely to invest in communities with a well-educated workforce, attractive and safe neighborhoods, a strong educational system, and social services that address and reduce health and human service needs.
- Corporate Recognition: Campaigns demonstrate to employees, customers, and the public at large that community service, impact, and leadership are a company priority. Companies that participate in campaigns are often recognized in events, media, marketing materials, and other platforms. Companies receive third-party recognition from United Way and other nonprofits and can also use campaign participation and results in their own internal and external communications such as websites, press releases, and annual reports.
- Easy Administration: Workplace campaigns are efficient and easy to administer. Payroll deduction is easy for employees and spreads giving throughout the year producing larger employee gifts.
- Improved Customer Relations and Loyalty: Market research shows that customers are more likely to purchase goods and services from companies that support their local community. Supporting nonprofit organizations and the community through the campaign shows that a company provides more than a product or service — it provides support for the local community as well — creating good community relations.
Benefits to Community
Education: In many cases, employees (and their friends and families) are unaware of the programs area organizations provide. Running a campaign provides an easy way to bring the community together, convey educational messages and expose employees to resources they may have never known about.
Expanded Outreach: The workplace provides new and expanded avenues for community outreach, making it easier for more employees to give and take an active part in vital community service activities.
Increased Partnership: Employee campaigns encourage cooperation and collaboration among charitable organizations, as well as between companies and nonprofits. These partnerships help reduce duplication and build more meaningful community coalitions.
Delivering Impact/ Getting Results: Funds raised during workplace campaigns go directly back to the community to improve lives.
Service: Your employees will be able to tap into a wealth of year-round opportunities through our Corporate Volunteer Opportunities that benefit the community directly.
Advantages of Payroll Deduction
- It is the easiest method available to help meet the needs in our area. People often find it easier to contribute a small amount each pay period than to contribute the same sum of money all at once.
- Eliminates the annoyance of multiple drives throughout the year by grouping many worthwhile agency appeals and services into one annual pledge.
- Allows an employee to contributions without facing a sudden substantial drain of cash.
- Increases employee morale by creating a feeling of teamwork between employees and their employers.
- Provides for an automatic cut-off of deductions when paychecks are not received.
How do I start a workplace campaign?
United Way of North Central Iowa will partner with you to develop a customized workplace campaign that aligns with your corporate values, as well as the interests of your employees. We will provide guidance and support to assist you in building your fundraising team and running an effective campaign.
To start, check out our Campaign Playbook which is loaded with information and resources to help you run a successful workplace campaign.